Every cook has that ingredient, spice or method to take their dish or baked item from tasty to absolutely delicious. Without a doubt honey is one of the secret ingredient for any cuisine. So, keep your bottle of honey handy just as you do with salt and pepper.
There are numerous ways to use this natural and healthy sweetener in foods. Most think of honey with the yoghurt, drizzled on fruit, an accompaniment with cheese, a condiment for making a salad dressing, a luxurious spread on a slice of toast and a sweetener for a cup of tea.
But honey for a baked chicken? We say “definitely yes!”. Here’s an original recipe a fan of The Apiary Forest honey shared with us. She uses the Forest honey as a glaze, it’s the special ‘sauce’ that give her chicken dish that special umami. Enjoy!
Oven-roast Chicken Thighs
8 piece fresh chicken thighs, wash and dry
1 whole Meyer lemon juice (if you can’t find a Meyer lemon any lemon juice will work just as well)
3.5 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
5 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil (or more oil if needed)
Sprigs of fresh Rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix marinade items in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs, toss/mix well.
- Cover the bowl. Refrigerate to marinade the chicken overnight (preferred) or for at least two hours.
- Preheat oven to 190 deg. C / 374 deg. F.
- Place chicken thighs on baking tray.
- Just before roasting the chicken brush The Apiary Forest honey on the skin side.
- Roast for 40 minutes or till done.
Serve hot or at room temperature.